As of Tuesday afternoon, disaster agency estimated 99 people were missing, 799 were badly injured, 152 victims remained trapped under debris, there were 61,687 refugees created by the quake and tsunami and 65,733 houses had collapsed.
In a heartbreaking development Monday, the bodies of 34 schoolchildren were discovered by Indonesian Red Cross officials in a church that was buried by a landslide. At least 1,200 have died.
An earth remover works to clear debris from the collapsed Roa Roa hotel in Palu.
Indonesia is racing against the clock as authorities continue to rescue victims affected by the recent magnitude 7.5 quake. Authorities have prioritized the immediate burial of the dead to prevent any disease outbreak caused by decomposing bodies.
The confirmed death toll of 844 released by Nugroho on Monday afternoon was an increase of only 12 since the previous day, with almost the entire total from Palu.
Most of the dead were from the city of Palu, but much is still unknown about other coastal towns that have yet to be properly assessed due to impassable roads, downed power lines and phone outages.
It was hoped up to 1,500 people could be taken out every day, with children, women and the injured the priority, he said.
Among the thousands of survivors preparing to bed down for another night outside, Masse pointed out another common worry besides food, water and missing relatives - the lack of electricity. On Tuesday morning, two quakes - of 5.9 and 6.0 magnitude - were recorded in quick succession off the southern coast of Indonesia's Sumba island.
More than 60,000 Indonesians have been displaced by the quake and tsunami, Chief Security Minister Wiranto told reporters on Monday.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, a spokesman for Indonesia's National Disaster Mitigation Agency, told the BBC that the tsunami detector buoys - 21 floating devices connected to deep-sea sensors - weren't working. The agency has set aside the equivalent of $37.6 million in relief funds and declared a state of emergency through October 11. The Indonesian government has evacuated 114 foreign nationals.
Meanwhile, many regions remain at a standstill.
Drone footage shows much of a city on the Indonesian island of Sulawesi is flattened.
On Monday, many survivors blocked trucks carrying aid to plunder the contents as many have gone hungry and thirsty for days. The survivors have been waiting for a chance to flee the city since Saturday, camping outside on mats or cardboard.
President Joko Widodo has welcomed offers of global help.
In some images the effects of liquefaction - where the vibrations and tremors in an natural disaster cause the ground, and everything built on it, to ripple and move like water - and landslides is stark.
Disaster officials say the inability to access the worst-affected areas has hampered their efforts, as they were unable to quickly deliver aid and heavy machinery used to rescue survivors.
Satellite imagery provided by regional relief teams showed severe damage at some of the area's major ports, with large ships tossed on land, quays and bridges trashed and shipping containers thrown around.
Some remote areas have yet to be contacted, and there are fears that the death toll could rise further.
In a video by The Guardian, the region is strewn with devastation.
Jan Gelfand, head of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) Country Cluster Support office in Jakarta, whose teams are in the disaster zone, described the situation as, "nightmarish". The buoys had been donated by the US, Germany, and Malaysia after the 2004 tsunami that killed nearly 250,000 people in the Aceh region, but they had been neglected, and many had been stolen or vandalized.