She said the letter was received on Wednesday.
U.S. President Donald Trump received a letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un as the two continue to discuss Pyongyang's commitment at a recent Singapore summit to rid itself of nuclear weapons, but no second meeting is now planned, the White House said on Thursday.
Trump didn't lock down any specifics during their meeting but promised that North Korea was going to denuclearize.
His comments came hours after Vice President Mike Pence presided over a ceremony in the state of Hawaii marking the repatriation of the 55 sets of remains to USA soil. The correspondence, following up on their Singapore summit in June, came amid fresh concerns over Pyongyang's commitment to denuclearization despite a rosy picture of progress painted by Trump.
United States officials have been closely monitoring North Korea's willingness to abandon its nuclear ambitions. U.S. Marines also fought in the famous battle, but mainly along the reservoir's western side.
But questions have deepened over Pyongyang's commitment after US spy satellite material detected renewed activity at the North Korean factory that produced the country's first intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of reaching the United States.
A USA defense official told VOA North Korea has provided nearly no information to help identify the individuals, and that the process could take months or years to complete.
Trump has said repeatedly the deal he reached with Kim has been positive since North Korea has maintained a freeze on nuclear and missile tests and has begun returning USA war dead remains.
The United States said during a solemn ceremony on Wednesday the human remains presumably included Americans killed in the Korean War and thanked North Korea for making good on its pledge to hand them over.
The foreign ministers from all nations involved in stalled "six-party" negotiations with North Korea aimed at reining in Pyongyang's nuclear programme will be at the gathering: the US, China, Russia, Japan and South Korea.
Air Force General John Hyten, who as commander of the U.S. Strategic Command oversees America's nuclear forces, said North Korea had clearly demonstrated its commitment to halt flight-testing missiles since none had launched since November.
It has taken longer than Washington had hoped, but a U.S. state department official says the process so far has been smooth.
If the United States and its allies move too quickly and make irreversible moves, then fail, such results will only benefit Kim Jong Un, Harris said. Much of that money was sent as reimbursement for the costs incurred during the recovery process, which for years involved North Korean officials accompanying American delegations as they traveled to war sites and obtained remains. The day of the transfer coincided with the 65th anniversary of the 1953 armistice agreement that put a temporary stop to the war between the North and South. Add North Korea as an interest to stay up to date on the latest North Korea news, video, and analysis from ABC News.