KXIP vs KKR Live Score

Ontario's minister of children, community and social services just announced that the Canadian province's landmark basic income pilot project would be terminated.

The Ontario government is defending its decision to cancel the province's basic income pilot project, suggesting the program discouraged participants from finding work.

MacLeod, who's a member of Ontario's new Progressive Conservative party, described the program as "quite expensive".

In the second half of the day on Tuesday during a press conference the Minister of social services Ontario Lisa MacLeod said that in the next 100 days, the government will develop a plan for revision of "fragmented, similar to the patchwork system", remaining after the previous liberal government.

Ziegner says she is "overwhelmed" when thinking about how the families who had previously signed up for the program are feeling.

Since she started participating in the program past year, Mendowegan has received her Grade 12 diploma, is in the process of completing a 16-week remote cooking course and is enrolled to start the office administrator program at Confederation College.

MacLeod said the province is working on a plan to revamp the system.


The project, introduced in 2017 and expected to last for three years, provided a basic income to 4,000 low-income people.

"I'm disappointed and upset", Knoll said.

In their pre-election budget, the Liberals set the increase for social assistance at three per cent. "And cancelling the unfinished and promising basic income pilot project is a waste and a shame".

Mike Schreiner, Guelph MPP and Green Party leader, considers the increase to be a cut to the social assistance rate.

Under the program's current guidelines, a single person would receive a maximum of $17,000 (Canadian) per year and a married couple would receive $24,000 (Canadian). "We are talking about people's lives", McKenna tweeted, linking to a media report that said the 1,000 Hamilton participants were "sold a bill of goods by the Ford government in the election".

Participants in the program received an email Wednesday saying their payments would continue through August but got no further details about how the project would be phased out, said Tom Cooper, director of the Hamilton Roundtable for Poverty Reduction. The food bank says the pilot was already making positive changes, and would have provided evidence-based research as to whether a basic income approach could be a tool to reduce poverty in Ontario.

If the latter moves forward as planned, Stockton will be the first US city government to give a basic income program a shot. "There are more compassionate ways the government could save money without targeting the most vulnerable".


COMMENTS