The restaurants reported using bagged, chopped romaine lettuce to make salads.
- Restaurants and retailers should ask their suppliers about the source of their chopped romaine lettuce.
A multistate E. coli outbreak has sent at least 22 people to the hospital prompting health officials to advise consumers across the country to throw out any store-bought chopped romaine lettuce, including prepackaged salads and salad mixes.
As of April 12, 2018, 35 people infected with the outbreak strain of E. coli O157:H7 have been reported from 11 states.
Montana has experienced two E. Coli outbreaks in the past three years, according to Hinnenkamp. The CDC reports 69 percent of those infected are women, and that 22 have been hospitalized and three have suffered from a type of kidney failure.
"Individuals with this infection usually get better within about 5 to 7 days, however some illnesses can be serious or even life-threatening", Dr. Shereef Elnahal, commissioner of the state Department of Health, said in a statement. A smaller number of cases were reported in Connecticut, New York, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Missouri, Virginia, and Washington state, CR reported. "Anyone experiencing symptoms of this illness should see a healthcare provider". This weekend stores here in Page had signs about the information and their pre-made salads were almost sold out- the CDC says the bags of pre-made salad containing romaine are not considered safe either so be on the safe side and toss in the trash and not in a salad.
This recommendation goes beyond the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendation, which is to confirm that any bagged romaine didn't originate in the Yuma area before purchasing. Three cases of E. Coli have been identified in Flathead County and another four suspected cases await laboratory testing statewide.
ADHS is working with local health departments, the CDC, and the FDA to confirm the source of the E. coli O157 infections, to identify additional cases and to prevent the spread of the disease. However, illnesses can start anywhere from one to 10 days after exposure. Symptoms include bloody diarrhea, severe stomach cramps and vomiting.