Twin bombs exploded at a mosque in a busy area in the city of Benghazi on Friday, killing at least two people and wounding 75 others, a Libyan official said, in the second attack targeting the city's houses of worship in less than a month.
Mutaz al-Mu'tri, Benghazi's security directorate spokesperson, said two bomb bags had been used in the attack, according to Libya's 218 tv news channel.
A military source told Reuters that the devices appear to have been detonated remotely using a mobile phone.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
In a statement yesterday, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs described the bombing as a heinous crime.
The LNA was battling Islamists, including some linked to Islamic State and al Qaeda, as well as other opponents until late previous year in the Mediterranean port city. Haftar, who is seen as a potential contender in national elections, launched a military offensive in the city in 2014 following a series of bombing attacks.
Haftar, a possible contender in national elections that could be held by the end of 2018, has built his reputation on delivering stability in Benghazi and beyond, promising to halt the anarchy that ensued after a NATO-backed uprising ended Muammar Gaddafi's long rule almost seven years ago.
The United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) was quick to condemn the attack, calling reports of civilian casualties "deeply disturbing".
It has since imposed strict military control on the city and other parts of eastern Libya under its control.
Ahmed al-Fituri, chief of a special investigation unit attached to the general command of east Libyan security forces, was among the casualties.
The UN has been trying to mediate for years, hoping elections could help stabilise Libya.